Key Stuck In Ignition – What Are My Options?
Getting into your car, turning the key, and hearing the engine roar to life is a satisfying feeling. However, when the key gets stuck in the ignition, it can be a frustrating and stressful experience. If you’re in this situation, don’t panic! As the auto locksmith Houston TX trusts most, Guardian Safe & Lock has years of experience with this issue across a wide range of makes, models, and years of vehicles. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why a key might get stuck in the ignition and the options available to fix the problem.
Reasons Why a Key Might Get Stuck in the Ignition
There are several reasons why a key might get stuck in the ignition. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Worn or Damaged Key: Over time, the key can become worn or damaged, making it difficult to remove from the ignition.
- Ignition Cylinder Problems: The ignition cylinder is the part of the ignition where the key is inserted into. If there are any problems with the ignition cylinder, such as a broken spring or a damaged wafer it can cause the key to stick.
- Dead Battery: If the battery in your car is dead or low, it can cause the key to become stuck in the ignition.
- Steering Wheel Lock: If the steering wheel is locked, it can prevent the key from being removed from the ignition.
- Shift Lever Problems: If the car is not in park, it can cause the key to stick in the ignition.
Options for Fixing a Key Stuck in the Ignition
- Try jiggling the key: In some cases, the key might be stuck due to a minor issue that can be resolved by jiggling the key. Try wiggling the key gently while turning it to see if it will come out.
- Check the Battery: If the battery in your car is dead or low, it can cause the key to become stuck in the ignition. Try jump-starting the car or replacing the battery to see if it resolves the issue.
- Check the Shift Lever: If the car is not in park, it can cause the key to become stuck in the ignition. Ensure the shift lever is in the park position before trying to remove the key.
- Try Turning the Steering Wheel: If the steering wheel is locked, it can prevent the key from being removed from the ignition. Try turning the steering wheel left and right while turning the key to see if it will come out.
- Lubricate the Lock: If the key is stuck due to a problem with the ignition cylinder, try lubricating the lock with a small amount of graphite powder or a silicone spray. Be careful not to use a lubricant that can corrode or damage the electronics in your ignition.
- Replace the Ignition Cylinder: If none of the above options work, it might be necessary to replace the ignition cylinder. This is a job that is best left to a professional Houston locksmith or mechanic.
A key stuck in the ignition can be a frustrating and stressful experience. However, there are several options available to fix the problem. Try jiggling the key, checking the battery, shift lever, and turning the steering wheel to see if any of these resolve the issue. If none of these options work, lightly lubricate the lock or consider replacing the ignition cylinder. Remember, if you’re not confident in your ability to fix the problem, it’s always best to seek the help of a professional Cypress Texas locksmith or auto mechanic.
When a key is stuck in the ignition, it’s important to remain calm and not force the key to come out. Forcing the key can cause damage to the ignition cylinder or the key itself, making the problem worse. By following the steps outlined above, you’ll be able to resolve the issue and get back on the road in no time. If you need further assistance, don’t forget that Guardian Safe & Lock is just a quick call away. From Houston commercial lock repair to car key replacement and Houston residential locksmith services, Guardian Safe & Lock is the locksmith that can tackle most security challenges.
Looking for even more security? Guardian Safe & Lock also provides services for Houston access control and acts as security camera installers for the Greater area, and sells some of the best gun safes Houston has to offer! No matter your security challenge, we’re ready to help. Give us a call at 832-534-8687 today to schedule an appointment or for a free quote!